Visa Conditions

All overseas students MUST ensure that they have a valid Australian visa while studying in Australia.

Australia has very stringent Border Protection laws in place. The tables below describe different types of visas as defined by Department of Home Affairs. These tables can also be found on Department of Home Affairs website:

Please make sure you comply with your student visa conditions. Breach of any condition may have sever consequences.

The table below describes the conditions that apply to all student visa holders.

Conditions that apply to all student visa holders

Condition numberWho this applies toDescription
8105All studentsYou cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session (other than work which has been registered as a part of the course). A fortnight means any period of 14 days commencing on a Monday and ending at the end of the second following Sunday.
You can work for more than 40 hours per fortnight during recognised vacation periods offered by your education provider.
You cannot start paid work until you have started your course in Australia.
No work limits apply if you are studying a Masters by research or Doctorate course in Australia.
8202All studentsYou must remain enrolled in a registered course (unless you are a Foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored student or secondary exchange student in which case you must maintain full-time enrolment in your course of study or training).
Note: A registered course is one that is on theCommonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).You must maintain enrolment in a registered course that is the same level as, or at a higher level than, the registered course for which you were granted a visa. See: Changing coursesYou must maintain satisfactory attendance in your course and course progress for each study period as required by your education provider.
8501All studentsYou must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during your stay in Australia.
Note: Under policy, you must maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
8516All studentsYou must continue to satisfy the requirements for grant of your student visa. This means, for example, that you continue to have sufficient financial capacity to support your study and stay in Australia.
8517All studentsYou must maintain adequate schooling arrangements for your school-age dependents who joined you in Australia for more than 3 months as part of your student visa application.
8532All studentsIf you are younger than 18 years of age, you must have accommodation and support, and your general welfare must be maintained for the duration of your stay in Australia.To maintain your welfare, you must stay in Australia with:

  • your parent or legal custodian
  • a relative who has been nominated by your parents or custodians who is aged over 21 and is of good character
  • have accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements in place that have been approved by your education provider.

You must not change your arrangements without the written approval of your education provider.
If your welfare arrangements are approved by your education provider you must not travel to Australia until your welfare arrangements start.

8533All studentsYou must tell your education provider:

  • the address where you live in Australia within seven days of arriving in Australia
  • if you change the address where you live within seven days of the change
  • if you change education provider within seven days of receiving the electronic confirmation of enrolment certificate or evidence of enrolment.

The table below describes the conditions that might be attached to a student visa. You can find your visa conditions in VEVO.

Conditions that might be attached to a student visa
No.Who this might apply toDescription
8303Any studentYou must not be involved in activities that are disruptive to, or in violence threaten harm to, the Australian community or a group within the Australian community.
8534Any studentWhile you remain in Australia, you are not entitled to be granted a further substantive visa, other than:

  • a protection visa
  • a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
  • a Student Guardian visa (subclass 590).
8535Students sponsored by the Commonwealth or a foreign governmentwhile you remain in Australia, you are not entitled to be granted a further substantive visa, other than:

  • a protection visa
  • a Student visa (subclass 500) granted on the basis of support from the Commonwealth government or a foreign government

Note: The effect of this visa condition is that, except in extremely limited circumstances, it will not be possible for you to remain in Australia beyond the date authorised by your visa.

Length of stay for Student visas


The length of stay is based on the course you intend to study. Additional time may be granted at the end of the course depending on its length. The ‘expiry date’ of your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) (and any welfare arrangements, where relevant) will also be taken into account. At minimum OSHC must cover the course length.

To be granted a student visa to cover the additional time students must have OSHC in place for the same period. For example, if your course is a year in length ending 30 August, you will be eligible for a student visa to 30 October, provided you have OSHC to that date.

You should consider this when deciding how much OSHC to purchase, as your visa end date cannot be changed once granted.

Subject to the ‘expiry date’ of your OSHC and any welfare arrangements (where relevant), your length of stay will generally be as follows:

Length of courseLength of stay
10 months or longer, finishing at the end of the Australian academic year (November to December)We will usually grant a visa stay period to 15 March of the following year
10 months or longer, finishing from January until OctoberWe will usually grant a visa stay period of 2 months longer than the course
Less than 10 monthsWe will usually grant a visa stay period 1 month longer than the course

The maximum length of stay for a Student visa will generally not exceed 5 years.