Certificate III in Painting and Decorating
- Course National Code: CPC30611
- Course CRICOS Code: 096723D
- Course Duration: 22 Months
- Broad Field of Education: Architecture and Building
- Detailed Field: Painting, Decorating and Sign Writing
- This course is delivered to International Students Only.
Looking for a little more colour in your life? CPC30611 Certificate III Painting and Decorating is the nationally recognised qualification for painters. In many Australian states, you must be qualified to be licensed or registered as a painting contractor. Having nationally recognised qualifications can help you find employment, start a business and enter into this varied industry!
The Certificate III in Painting and Decorating covers a wide range of topics including working at heights, painting, spray-painting, wallpaper, surface preparation and more! Additionally, we deliver small business unit electives to ensure that you are well prepared for working as a sole trader or small business person!
This course is delivered over 92 weeks in 7 ten-week terms including 22 weeks of holidays. Classes are scheduled for 20 hours per week, two days per week plus 4 hours of scheduled study. Real industry placement is required for this qualification, see more information below.
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a painting trades worker.
Possible job title includes:
Painting Trades Worker
Those students who wish to undertake this course should meet the following academic and English language requirements.
|Year 11 or equivalent;
With limited or no vocational experience and
Please note that you are required to meet the Department of Home Affairs English language requirements for student visa applications, which may differ from the aforementioned course entry requirements. Please refer to https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/ to find out the assessment level for your country and to determine the required level of English that you should possess.
Students who participate in this course will be required to undertake manual handling and physical labour. Those with a history of back or health issues may not be appropriate to take this course. Please talk to us for more details.
Pathways From the Qualification
After achieving this qualification, you may choose to undertake:
- BSB40215 Certificate IV in Business
- BSB50215 Diploma of Business
- BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership & Management
All students will be doing the placement as volunteers or employees and as such, there is no need for registration.It is recommended that students obtain a White Card as this may provide greater job opportunities to work on commercial, building and construction sites. There is no requirement, however, to hold a White Card for successful completion of the course.
Study & Assessment Mode
This course is delivered in a combination of theory and practical sessions. All practical sessions are conducted in a fully equipped warehouse where students will have an opportunity to practice and demonstrate competency across a wide range of skills with a wide range of equipment. Throughout the qualification, PCBT arranges for students to undertake industry placement so our students can enhance skills and further employment opportunities. Assessment is competency based and is generally though questioning, project and practical demonstrations.
Tuition Fees for International students: AU$ 24,200 for a limited time offer (RRP: AU$26,600)* inclusive of all materials fees, uniform, kits.
To be able to achieve this qualification, students must successfully complete the following units:
*Please note that alternative options apply for domestic/local students. Contact for more information.
Term 1: Workplace Fundamentals
In Term 1, you will learn the basics about how to work safely in the painting, decorating and construction environments.
- CPCCOHS2001A – Apply OHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
- CPCPD3031A – Implement safe lead paint & asbestos work practices in the painting industry*
- CPCCCM1012A – Work effectively and sustainably in the construction industry
- CPCCCM2003B – Calculate and cost construction work
- CPCCCM1015A – Carry out measurements and calculations
- CPCCCM1014A – Conduct workplace communication
- CPCCCM1013A – Plan and organise work
- CPCCCM2001A – Read and interpret plans and specifications
Term 2: Working @ Heights & Prep Work
This term is focused on setting up and prepping work areas, this includes how to work safely at heights
- CPCCCM2010B – Work safely at heights
- CPCCCM2008A – Erect & dismantle restricted height scaffolding
- CPCCPB3026B – Erect and maintain trestle and plank systems
- CPCCCM3001C – Operate elevated work platforms
- CPCCPD2012A – Use painting and decorating tools and equipment*
- CPCCPD2011A – Handle painting and decorating materials*
- CPCCPD3021A – Remove and replace doors and door and window components
- CPCCPD3021A – Prepare surfaces for painting
Term 3: Basic painting, brushing and decorative finishes
This term focuses on colour matching, basic painting skills with the brush and roller and decorative paint finishes.
- CPCCPD3025A – Match specified paint colour**
- CPCCPD3022A – Apply paint by brush and roller**
- CPCCPD3028A – Apply decorative paint finishes**
Term 4: Texture Coats
This term focuses on texture coat finishes applied through brush, roller, spray and trowel. Additionally, from Term 4 you will start Industry Placement where you will be working in industry to apply your skills in the workplace.
- CPCCPD3023A – Apply texture coat paint finishes by brush, roller and spray**
- CPCCSP3003A – Apply trowelled texture coat finishes**
Term 5: Spray painting, stains & timber finishes
This term focuses on spray painting as well as stains and timber finishes with the brush and roller. Industry placement continues.
- CPCCPD3024A – Apply paint by spray **
- CPCCPD3026A – Apply stains and clear timber finishes **
Term 6: Wallpaper
This term focuses on wallpaper including surface prep, basic wallpaper and advanced techniques. Industry placement continues.
- CPCCPD3027A – Apply wallpaper **
- CPCCPD3032A – Apply advanced wallpaper techniques **
Term 7: Small business & industry placement finalisation
This final term gives you some basic small business skills in micro business and finance. You will also ensure that all skills have been signed off in the workplace with increased assessor observations and final submission of your videos and portfolio of evidence against skills in the workplace.
- BSBSMB301 – Investigate micro business opportunities
- BSBSMB406 – Manage small business finances
** These units require demonstration of competency in the workplace and sign off by industry as supporting evidence.
Live Industry, Real Work
Students are required to participate in a minimum of 160 hours of industry placement throughout the qualification. Skills are first learnt and practiced in our fully fitted warehouse. Students are then supported with industry placement to work with employers to further build their knowledge and ensure that skills can be demonstrated to industry standards.
Uniform & Kit
Students will receive a full painters uniform and basic painters kit. Students should expect to purchase additional uniforms and equipment as they progress through Industry Placement from term 4.
NOTE: This course is not currently being enrolled for 2018 intakes. For more information please contact our Admissions Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org